So, I am pretty ohhhhhkay on the food front but I'm finding the cosmetic part difficult. I'm a girly girl. I spend an outrageous amount of time on my hair and face in the morning trying to make me look remotely human. I now just have the not so simple task of reviewing all that I use.
For some light-reading pre-searching I go to PETA for a compressive list of animal derived ingredients that are used in cosmetics and toiletries. I then collapse in shock at the amount of things I need to look out for. I had a little snoop at the PETA naughty list. Next stop is My Makeup Mirror for a reference list of vegan friendly products.
This is way easier when there is a ready made list but then..... I do live in the back-arse of Ireland. Get real sweetie.... you need more research and a credit card with no limit. Now, it would be unrealistic for me to try change everything in one day and I would rather use up everything I have rather than add to all the waste that there is in the world so as I run out of products I replace them with alternatives that support my vegan lifestyle and are within my budget. Anyone else missing the pre-recession days where you thought nothing of spending 40quid on a tub of the latest potion to keep skin youthful?
The moisturizer I am currently using from my pre-vegan days was the victim of my research today. Why..... because it was affordable, doing great work with my skin and easily available. I researched and it ticked the right boxes; no animal testing by the brand or for the brand by other companies and no animal derived ingredients in most of it's products and these products clearly identified by the website. BUT many vegans avoid any products that have that little blue "U" on the back of the bottle. Yes, the company I chose was a smaller company within the Unilever empire. I'm a bit confused as to what is the norm for vegans now because Unilever have changed their policies so much with regards to animal testing.
The specific product I have is vegan so I am going to use the product. I think that by purchasing this product it is creating a demand for animal friendly, plant based products thus encouraging major companies to embrace these products further.
And so one change-over is sorted. I now have a moisturiser and when I am changing the rest of my toiletries I have easy access to a few products that are easily available in my country.
Of course with this bit of research a good bit of my afternoon was gone on the interwebs so lunch was an easy peasy quicky lunch but still yummy. Homemade spicy potato wedges and salad.
Ingredients for spicy potato wedges
2 medium potatoes (I prefer potatoes that are floury when cooked)
1 tablespoon (honestly I didn't use anymore) virgin olive oil
Freshly ground Sea salt and Black pepper
1tsp+ turmeric
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 to 1tsp paprika
1tsp rosemary
Ingredients for salad
Seriously? You want me to tell you what to put in your salad?!
Optional Toppings
Grated vegan cheese
nuts: whole/chopped
hummus
guacamole
vegan mayo
whatever..... go wild baby!
Method
Preheat the oven to whatever it lands on (I usually go with around 180 Celsius), put the olive oil in a roasting tin and put it in the oven until it is nice a runny around the place. While waiting, scrub your spuds (potatoes for the non-irish) and chop them up into wedges. I prefer to leave the skins on because I'm a lazy cow. Put them in the roasting tin and toss around until coated in oil. Season with salt and black pepper. Roast for 15mins then add the rest of the seasoning and toss around until all the wedges are coated. The seasoning doesn't have to be exact go with what you like. Cayenne pepper has a little bit of burn your mouth factor so if you are a wuss don't go wild with it. Roast for another 15mins or until wedges are starting to look a bit crispy on the edges. Prepare your salad while they are cooking away. Put them on a plate and be a savage.
Disclaimer: I may have added way more wedges to my plate after I took the photo. Couldn't have me looking like a complete and utter hunger.

No comments:
Post a Comment